Happy Friday Everyone!
Well, the countdown is on… Lots of excited children over the next few weeks!
· Our Christmas Concert is Monday. Performances are at 1:00 and 6:30 pm. For the evening performance please drop your child to their classroom a few minutes prior where they will stay with their teacher during the performance. Thank you in advance to our generous Parent Council for providing cookies and juice in the classrooms for students following their performances.
· Advent Mass & Liturgies: Over the school year, each class will prepare and perform a liturgy or Mass as part of their religion curriculum. Thank you to the Grade 4/5 class for all their hard work at yesterday’s Mass and to those in Kindergarten, Grades 3/4 and 6/7 for their work on the upcoming liturgies.
· Annual Christmas Lunch: Reminder to those who have offered to cook a turkey for the lunch that they are to be picked up next week at The Local.
Week At A Glance
Monday, December 10
· Christmas Concert, performances at 1:00 pm and 6:30 pm in the gymnasium
Tuesday, December 11
· St. Michael’s Secondary Band Christmas Tour, 10:45 am in the gym
Friday, December 12
· Advent Liturgy lead by Kindergarten & Grade 6/7, 12:40 pm in the gym
· Hot Lunch is A&W Chicken Fingers with fries
Week of December 17 – 21 – Christmas Spirit Week
Monday, December 17 – Christmas Lunch, whole school at 11:30 am
Monday, December 17 – Grade 6/7 & 7/8 Badminton at Stratford Rotary Complex (Badminton Club), 1:00 – 3:00 pm
Monday, December 17 – Fancy Attire Day
Tuesday, December 18 – Christmas Sweater Day
Wednesday, December 19 – Christmas Character Day
Thursday, December 20 – Red & Green Day
Friday, December 21 – Pajama Day
Friday, December 21 – Advent Liturgy lead by Grade 3/4 at 10:40 am in the gym
Friday, December 21 – Last Day of school before the Christmas break
December 22 – January 6 – Christmas Holidays!
Monday, January 7 – First day back after Christmas break
For those parents who need lots of lead time to book days off…
Major Events in 2019
January 16 – Grade 8 Retreat, morning
January 23 – Grade 6 Retreat, morning
January 25 – Ordinary Time Mass, 9:30 am in the gymnasium
January 30 – Bordenball Tournament at St. Mike’s, Grades 4, 5 & 6 (snow date Jan. 31)
January 30 – Kindergarten & Grade 1 Outdoor Education at Wildwood, leaving at 12:15 pm
February 1 – PD Day – NO SCHOOL
February 6 – Grade 2 & 3/4 Outdoor Education at Wildwood, leaving at 12:15 pm
February 18 – Family Day Holiday – NO SCHOOL
February 19 – Grade 5 Retreat, afternoon
March 5 – Shrove Tuesday, (Spirit Services Committee makes pancakes for lunch—may need volunteers)
March 6 – Ash Wednesday Mass, 1:30 pm at St. Joseph’s Church
March 9 – 17 – March Break – NO SCHOOL
March 26 – Grade 2 Retreat, morning
April 5 – PD Day – NO SCHOOL
April 9 – Basketball Tournament at St. Mike’s, Grades 7 & 8 (snow date April 10)
April 18 – Holy Thursday Liturgy (time TBD)
April 19 – Good Friday – NO SCHOOL
April 22 – Easter Monday – NO SCHOOL
April 23 – Grade 3 Retreat, morning
May 9 – Easter Season Mass, 1:30 pm at St. Joseph’s Church
May 20 – Victoria Day – NO SCHOOL
May 21 – June 3 EQAO for Grade 3 & 6 (please try to avoid absences of these students during this time. Ie. Dental apt., etc.)
May 23 – Kindergarten & Grade 1 Outdoor Education at Wildwood, leaving at 12:15 pm
May 29 – 31 – Grade 8 Trip to Camp Kintail tentatively booked
June 5 – System Track & Field at St. Anne’s, Clinton (rain date June 6)
June 7 – PD Day – NO SCHOOL
June 9 – Confirmation at St. Joseph’s Church
June 11 – Grade 2 & 3/4 Outdoor Education at Wildwood, leaving at 12:15 pm
June 12 – Final School Mass, 9:30 pm at St. Joseph’s Church
June 13 – Kindergarten & Grade 1 Outdoor Education at Wildwood, leaving at 12:15 pm
June 18 – Two Pitch Tournament at Packham Road Complex (rain date June 19)
June 20 – FAMILY BBQ
June 25 – Graduation Mass at St. Joseph’s Church, 6:00 pm
June 27 – Last day of school!
June 28 – PD Day – NO SCHOOL
· Advent Giving: As is our tradition at St. Joseph’s School, we will be accepting donations of non-perishable food items, personal hygene items and cash or gift card donations all this week to be donated to St. Vincent de Paul. Our deadline is Thursday, December 6th. St. Vincent de Paul organizers suggest gift cards to stores such as: Walmart, Sports Check or Giant Tiger so that the parents of the families in need can pick out gifts that are appropriate for their children. If you choose to send smaller cash donations in, they will be pooled to purchase gift cards to one of those stores. The lesson of kindness and compassion towards those in the community that are less fortunate is always important for our students and it is always heightened as the Christmas season is upon us. Thank you in advance for your generosity.
· Advent Mass will held Thursday, December 6 at 9:30 am in the gymnasium.
· SchoolMessenger is here! Please see the attached information about the new SchoolMessenger software that our school board will be launching, December 3rd. You are encouraged to use the 3 NEW options for contacting the school about your child’s absences. Several parents are now quite “techy” and the new app may be just the thing to help save you from that phone call at 9:30 am from Mrs. Chute when you forget to call in. The best thing will be getting contacted in a way that is less disruptive to your daily routine—simply register online which way you prefer to be contacted (text, phone or email) and which order you prefer (Mom first, Dad next, Grandma, etc..). However, don’t be stressed about getting signed up as contacting the office on the school’s phone at 519-271-3574 with voicemail open 24 hours or speaking with Mrs. Chute will always be an option too.
· Reminder that today is the last day to order December Hot Lunches online!
Thursday, December 6
· Advent Mass, 9:30 am in the gymnasium. Everyone is welcome to attend!
· St. Michael’s Live Nativity, 5:30 – 7:30 pm, Free Admission
· Hot Lunch is New Orlean’s Pizza
Friday, December 7
· PD Day – NO School